Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Busy and Bored

Bible school finished out well. And it turns out I'll be teaching 3rd grade Religous Ed on Wednesday nights.

This week I become an orientation leader for international students. I haven't met any of the students yet, but they are all from either Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Kenya, China, South Korea. No Spanish speaking places, unfortunately. It should be interesting, to say the least. I don't know how much English they will know, but I do know how much of any of their languages I speak, so communication could prove difficult.

Anyway, I was excited about doing it, but now I know a little bit more about it, and that excitement is quickly diminishing. My job mostly consists of me getting there at 7:30, standing around a lot, leading the students to different buildings on campus so that they can spend an hour listening to a presentation here, and two hours taking a test there. To top it off, the leader seemed a little ungrateful to me. This is a volunteer position (yes, unpaid!), and I am already spending more than 8 hours a day doing this, and she still wants me there for the night activities, so the students see a familiar face. I understand the intent, but when I told this lady that some people have other obligations such as paying jobs, she grudgingly let me off, but I could tell she was pissed off, like I was inconveniencing her. I was outraged!

So that's about it for now. One of my roommates, as far as I know is moving in on Wednesday, which will there by end my summer basically solo.

No comments: